Friday, January 9, 2009

Three Weeks Away!!!

It's getting closer!! I think it's starting to become a bit more real...

I bought a little "South Africa for Travelers" book yesterday at Half Price Books, and I'm realizing there is SO much that I want to do!! Here are a couple of pictures of the places I would like to see...

Kimberley's Big Hole
The city of Kimberley is located southwest of Johannesburg and is home to the largest man-made excavation, the Big Hole. It was dug between 1871 and 1914 in an effort to discover diamonds.

Golden Gate Highlands National Park
The eastern part of Free State is filled with sandstone cliffs, streams, and green hills. Although there isn't as much wildlife, the landscape is what visitors truly come to see.

These are just two sites that I hope to see. I've already discovered that there's more that I want to see than I at first thought! Hopefully I'll get to cover at least half of them!!!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

You must be getting so excited!! I can't wait to hear all the stories and pictures! Who knew South Africa was so beautiful!!

La Perfectionista said...

wow...that is one big hole! did they ever find any diamonds in it? it seems if you dug that much you'd surely find something worthwhile. don't fall in looking for your own treasure to bring home :-)